A Saudi clip that purported to show the smuggling of “Iranian ballistic missiles” into Yemen was revealed to be old US footage
Saudi Arabia and a coalition of allies have been accused of presenting footage from a documentary on the Iraq war as “proof” of alleged missile smuggling at the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah, which is still held by Houthi rebels.
The claim was made by a spokesperson for the Saudi-led military coalition, Brigadier General Turki Al-Maliki, during a press conference on Saturday. The presser was aired by the state-run Al-Saudiya broadcaster, with footage still available on its YouTube channel.
Al-Maliki said the coalition obtained evidence that the Houthis were stockpiling and assembling weaponry at the Red Sea port of Hodeidah. The official alleged that the port is used to smuggle Iranian-made missiles into the country, adding that the munitions are then put together at workshops hidden in the city. Riyadh has repeatedly accused Iran of smuggling weaponry to the Houthis in circumvention of the UN arms embargo, yet Tehran has consistently denied the charge.
A short two-second clip showing two large ballistic missile boosters, sitting at a warehouse, was played at Saturday’s press conference, with Al-Maliki insisting it showed a “specific location” at the Hodeidah port, the Middle East Eye reported. The exact location of the workshop, however, could not be revealed, Al-Maliki reportedly added.
The claims by the Saudi-led coalition came under scrutiny from online sleuths, who traced the footage back to a 2009 documentary on the second US-led invasion of Iraq.
#SaudiArabia #Yemen :Journalist in Yemen @zakaria_sharabi for Daily Yemen points out that footage used by #Saudi coalition spokesman as proof of major weapons store of #Houthis in #Hodeidah seems to come from documentary on #US invasion of #Iraq #ٱلْيَمَن pic.twitter.com/oZP0g9a9ov
— sebastian usher (@sebusher) January 9, 2022
The video used by the Saudis appeared to be identical to the one featured in ‘Severe Clear,’ an American film based on video diaries filmed by US marines during their advance on the Iraqi capital in April 2003. Observers pointed out that the Saudi version was carefully cropped so it would not show US servicemen both to the left and to the right of the boosters they were inspecting in the captured warehouse, as is seen in the full-length video.
The Saudi allegations drew outrage from the Houthis, with spokesman Yahya Saree branding the use of the footage a “scandal” that exposed the “bankruptcy” of the Saudi-led coalition.
“This is the aggression which from the start is filled with lies and deception and attempts to cover their eyes with sand but the string of lies is short,” the spokesman tweeted.
Saudi Arabia and the coalition it leads – originally comprised of some 10 states – have been fighting in Yemen since 2015, when they staged a bombing campaign and subsequent invasion in a bid to reinstall ousted President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi. The ongoing intervention has come under fire from the United Nations and other international observers for repeatedly targeting non-combatants and civilian infrastructure, and the war has helped to fuel one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, with the UN estimating that up to 400,000 Yemeni children risked starvation last year alone.
- Man accused of DWI, bribing Carlsbad officers with cash - KRQE News 13 January 22, 2022Man accused of DWI, bribing Carlsbad officers with cash KRQE News 13 […]
- Two 13-year-olds accused of robbing and assaulting other teens - kuna noticias y kuna radio January 22, 2022Two 13-year-olds accused of robbing and assaulting other teens kuna noticias y kuna radio […]
- Olympic medalist accused of stealing millions in COVID-19 relief money - FOX 11 Los Angeles January 22, 2022Olympic medalist accused of stealing millions in COVID-19 relief money FOX 11 Los Angeles […]
- PETA offers help after teens near Bucyrus are accused of abusing a dog - ABC6OnYourSide.com January 22, 2022PETA offers help after teens near Bucyrus are accused of abusing a dog ABC6OnYourSide.com […]
- Widow of accused killer drove him to train station after police interview - Manchester Ink Link January 22, 2022Widow of accused killer drove him to train station after police interview Manchester Ink Link […]
- FBI: Brian Laundrie claimed responsibility for Gabby Petito's death - CNN January 21, 2022FBI: Brian Laundrie claimed responsibility for Gabby Petito's death CNNGabby Petito case: FBI closes homicide investigation as it reveals Brian Laundrie's notebook confession Fox NewsGabby Petito's family says FBI evidence leaves 'no doubt' that her fiancé Brian Laundrie 'murdered' her Yahoo! VoicesFamilies of Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie reach property agreement, lawyer says WFLA News Channel 8Brian Laundrie's Notebook Confession […]
- Meat Loaf, ‘Bat Out of Hell’ Singer and Actor, Dies at 74 - The New York Times January 21, 2022Meat Loaf, ‘Bat Out of Hell’ Singer and Actor, Dies at 74 The New York TimesView Full Coverage on Google News
- March for Life Rally Unfolds with Eye on Supreme Court - The New York Times January 21, 2022March for Life Rally Unfolds with Eye on Supreme Court The New York TimesMarch for Life taking place as Roe faces potential end nearly 50 years after landmark decision Fox NewsWomen's memories of when Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973 The Washington PostI Will March for Life Before and After the Fall of Roe | Opinion NewsweekThe Progressive […]
- U.S. judge blocks Biden federal employee COVID vaccine mandate - reuters.com January 21, 2022U.S. judge blocks Biden federal employee COVID vaccine mandate reuters.comTexas federal judge temporarily blocks Biden vaccine mandate for federal employees Fox NewsJudge in Texas blocks enforcement of federal employee vaccine mandate nationwide CNNLatest Covid Vaccine, Testing and Mandate News: Live Updates The New York TimesTrump appointee issues ruling blocking Biden's vaccine requirement for federal workers The Washington PostView Full Coverage […]
- Texas Man Charged With Threatening to Kill Georgia Election Officials - The New York Times January 21, 2022Texas Man Charged With Threatening to Kill Georgia Election Officials The New York TimesView Full Coverage on Google News
- NEW GAME LEAKS - New Pokemon Legends Arceus Forms, Stats & Shinies!
- STARTERS y SHINY STARTERS de Pokémon Legends ARCEUS (TYPHOSION SAMUROTT DECIDUEYE) | MI OPINIÓN
- Shiny Shinx Wild Encounter | pokemon legends arceus shiny
- POKEMON LEGENDS ARCEUS PLAYTHROUGH PART 5
- Nadagamkarayo Episode 263 || ''නාඩගම්කාරයෝ'' || 21st January 2022