Canadian province to start differentiate between coronavirus patients and Covid-19 positive patients admitted for other reasons
Canada’s Ontario province has acknowledged that many of the people reported to be hospitalized with Covid-19 were actually admitted because of other health conditions and were incidentally found to be infected with the virus.
Of the 3,220 people hospitalized with Covid-19 in the province, 54% were admitted because of the virus, Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott said on Tuesday. The other 46% were at hospitals for medical treatments unrelated to the pandemic, but they tested positive for the virus.
While this doesn't change the serious situation in Ontario's hospitals, it is important to share this data to provide additional context on the state of the pandemic.
This information will begin to be reported on https://t.co/dVoqvQLuFb tomorrow.
— Christine Elliott (@celliottability) January 11, 2022
Elliott said that starting on Wednesday, hospitalization data will be broken down to show cases that were incidental to admission, such as asymptomatic infections. “While this doesn’t change the serious situation in Ontario’s hospitals, it is important to share this data to provide additional context on the state of the pandemic.”
The announcement comes as Covid-19’s Omicron variant has caused infections to surge around the world, including in Ontario. Multiple studies have found that the variant is easier to spread than previous strains, although it might be milder than its predecessors. Hospitalization figures that lump in incidental cases without any delineation of cause do not appear to factor that distinction in.
Among Ontario’s intensive-care patients with Covid-19, about 17% are incidental cases, Elliott said. More than 70% of patients were fully vaccinated against the virus before being hospitalized. A further 5.4% had received one jab, while the remaining 24% were unvaccinated. Nearly 45% of Covid-19 patients in intensive-care units were unjabbed. More than 88% of Ontario residents are fully vaccinated against the virus.
Patients who are admitted to hospitals are typically tested for Covid-19 as part of routine screenings.While some experts have suggested that the variant could help bring an end to the pandemic by increasing the rate of natural immunity, Covid-19 infections, whether symptomatic or not, strain health care systems because hospitals must employ isolation measures to prevent spreading the virus to other people.
New York Governor Kathy Hochul earlier this month asked hospitals in her state to start breaking down their Covid-19 data to show incidental cases. NYU Langone Health told the New York Times that about 65% of its Covid-19 patients were found to be infected after being admitted for other reasons.
- Claims of personal freedom stall Missouri COVID-19 vaccinations - St. Louis Public Radio January 27, 2022Claims of personal freedom stall Missouri COVID-19 vaccinations St. Louis Public Radio […]
- Majority Of Americans Think Covid-19 Is Here To Stay, Poll Finds - Forbes January 27, 2022Majority Of Americans Think Covid-19 Is Here To Stay, Poll Finds Forbes […]
- Can COVID-19 vaccines help prevent long COVID? - Al Jazeera English January 27, 2022Can COVID-19 vaccines help prevent long COVID? Al Jazeera English […]
- More time, grants for COVID-19-impacted Stanford professors - Inside Higher Ed January 27, 2022More time, grants for COVID-19-impacted Stanford professors Inside Higher Ed […]
- COVID-19 campus update: Jan. 27 issue | CU Boulder Today - CU Boulder Today January 27, 2022COVID-19 campus update: Jan. 27 issue | CU Boulder Today CU Boulder Today […]
- Spotify Removes Neil Young's Music After Complaints About Joe Rogan - The New York Times January 27, 2022Spotify Removes Neil Young's Music After Complaints About Joe Rogan The New York TimesSpotify to remove Neil Young's songs after Joe Rogan ultimatum Fox BusinessSpotify says it will remove Neil Young's music, according to reports CNNNeil Young's Long Record of Spreading Scientific Misinformation The Daily BeastNeil Young Threatens To Pull Music From Spotify Over Joe Rogan's Vaccine Comments TODAYView Full […]
- Stock Market Today: Dow, S&P Live Updates for Jan. 27, 2022 - Bloomberg January 27, 2022Stock Market Today: Dow, S&P Live Updates for Jan. 27, 2022 BloombergU.S. futures trim losses, but Dow futures still down 200 points as investors assess Fed update CNBCJust forget your 401(k) password CNNWhenever the Dow and the S&P 500 fall below this key support level, stocks typically come roaring back MarketWatchDon't Sweat the S&P 500's Pullback to This Key […]
- USMNT's World Cup qualifier starting XI: Pulisic, Turner and the 'MMA' midfield means best chance vs. El Salvador - ESPN January 27, 2022USMNT's World Cup qualifier starting XI: Pulisic, Turner and the 'MMA' midfield means best chance vs. El Salvador ESPNPRE-MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE: Christian Pulisic | USMNT vs. El Salvador | Jan. 26, 2022 U.S. SoccerUSMNT braces for cold-weather World Cup qualifiers The Washington PostUSMNT's World Cup qualifier starting XI: Pulisic, Turner and the 'MMA' midfield means best chance of […]
- Apple to let iPhones accept credit cards without extra hardware: report - Fox Business January 27, 2022Apple to let iPhones accept credit cards without extra hardware: report Fox BusinessApple (AAPL) to Let IPhones Accept Credit Cards in Threat to Square SQ BloombergiPhones will soon accept contactless payments directly, says report The VergeUpcoming iOS Update Will Allow iPhones to Accept Credit Cards Directly Using NFC MacRumorsReport: Apple is working on allowing iPhones to accept card payments iMoreView […]
- Australia scientists find 'spooky' spinning object in Milky Way - BBC News January 27, 2022Australia scientists find 'spooky' spinning object in Milky Way BBC NewsUnknown space object beaming out radio signals every 18 minutes remains a mystery CNNAstronomers spot mysterious object ‘unlike anything seen before’ – and it’s sending signals our way... The Sun‘Spooky’ object that unleashes periodic bursts of energy detected in Milky Way Yahoo! Voices'Spooky' spinning object in our galactic backyard […]
- Keyshawn Johnson 'BREAKING' Bears hire Ryan Poles from Chiefs as GM, Jim Caldwell will be Head Coach
- how to upload photos on Google drive 👍
- Marc López, entrenador de Rafa Nadal: "Lo que más le preocupa es el pie pero está bien"
- Joe Rogan Searching for Neil Young on Spotify /s
- Rafael Nadal | Top 5 Shots (QF) | Australian Open 2022